Monday, November 17, 2008

WRock Is Back!

Middle of the year, one of Davao's most loved adult contemporary radio station made it's final bow, out of broadcasting. So curtains have all fell down and we never get to hear Don Gonzales's golden voice on the airwaves.

It was a pitfall day in the radio industry of Davao. Another radio station has to close probably due to the financial crisis. The radio industry has to fight over downloading of songs and it's availability in imeem or youtube over the internet. Radio has become almost obsolete that it has become an unknown media with the emergence of more popular and more powerful mediums like the world wide web.

Nevertheless, radio will always be a part of one's life. Especially radio stations that provide good music and alternative programming. I think WRock's farewell to the airwaves of Davao was one of the biggest news in the industry, since this station has become a staple of almost every offices and households in the city. It is one of the most listened to and the ultimate pioneer in playing easy-listening songs and love ballads.

This past weekend, I had nothing to do, so I happen to switch on the radio. I was frequency surfing (one of my hobby's when I was younger), trying to look for a feel-good song to heal my aching head. I stopped when I heard "Half-life" being played. When the song ended, I was surprised to hear that it was actually 95.5 WRock, that I was tuning in to. They're back and I couldn't believe it.

That means I would be able to hear Paul and Cherry's weekend radio show "Lite Rock Favorites". That means I would be able to check their 3 of a kind feature for the day. That means I would be able to hear their beautiful jingles again.

I was so elated when I heard this particular jingle " I could never leave you...I listen all day long...you understand my feeling..you play my favorite songs..." and that's exactly what I did that whole afternoon...

WRock is back and I hope it's here to stay.

(I'd probably ask my former colleague at work Bon Hodreal, one of the grandsons of WRock's proprietor, about this development and the real score behind 95.5's comeback. Check out http://wrock.fm, for more updates)

No comments: